We are hosting our first Thanksgiving lunch this year and I’m super excited! I absolutely love to cook and I’m looking forward to making all the fixin’s BUT I have never made a turkey before in my life! I’ve been watching youtube videos and reading online on how to cook a turkey. It doesn’t look too hard, so lets hope and pray I can do this!
I wanted to share with y’all what all I’m cooking and the plan I have laid out for Thanksgiving day. I love hearing about other peoples traditions and what they cook for Thanksgiving, so I thought y’all may like to know what I’m making this year!
What I’m making:
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Broccoli Casserole
- Mac & Cheese (we use this recipe, it’s to die for)
- Mashed Potatoes
- Corn (we are cheating a little bit and using the McKenzie’s Golden Creamed Corn)
- Green Beans (one of my clients told me a little secret-3 cans of green beans to 1 beef bouillon cube. Let boil until there’s no water left in the pot.. Tastes just like your grannys delicious, homemade, canned green beans)
- Rolls (frozen from Aldi, they’re best rolls around)
- Pecan Pie
- Pumpkin Pie
- Pecan Pie Cheesecake (I found THIS recipe and knew I had to make it this year, I know it’s going to be amazing)
The Game Plan:
I will make all the pies. I will make sure to get get both the broccoli casserole, and sweet potato casserole prepped and ready to be put in the oven Thursday morning.
5:00 AM – Stuff the turkey, prep it, & stick it in the oven until 11:30 AM/until it is cooked.
10:00 AM – Get the Mac and cheese in the croc pot so it can cook for the full 2 hours.
10:30 AM – Start peeling the potatoes, get them boiling & ready to be mashed
11:30 AM – After letting the turkey rest, carve it & get the casseroles and rolls in the oven so they can bake. I will also start the green beans and corn at this time.
12:00 AM – TIME TO EAT!
I really hope this goes well! Since I’ve never done this before, I am nervous but I’m also so excited to have everyone over and to cook! We are hosting Mikes family for lunch, and then we are going to my Nanny’s house with my family for a late lunch/dinner. I’m telling y’all, we are going to be SO STUFFED, but I absolutely cannot wait. I love Thanksgiving because you don’t have to worry about anything but eating together & enjoying each others company.
I hope you and your family have a fabulous & safe Thanksgiving.
I’m always looking for new recipes to try, so what are some of your family food staples you have every Thanksgiving?